2008년 11월 30일 일요일

My ID history

My ID history

My personal history of ID began from my junior year in high school. It was when the cell phone industry was boom in Korea. New technology of cell phone was growing rapidly every month; new cell phones with new functions were out every second. Due to the system, after I decided to do design, I had to go through a certain process in Korea. I learned drawing skills first when I was in 7th grade. Until high school didn’t know how design was related to a simple pencil drawing skills. While I was thinking of it, revolutionary cell phone designs were good enough to open my eyes and become an icebreaker on my process of reaching to learn design. I always knew I wanted to design but not knowing what, I was sometimes walking sideways not straight. After learning some drawing skills and knowing what I want to design, it kept me on track.
After all that jungle of start, I found myself a junior in high school. It was when I started to make my portfolio and filled it up with those charcoal drawings and pastel drawings. I did not enjoy doing it but good quality of drawings. When I was almost done with my portfolio, I was a senior. I had a chance to build a model of concert hall, it was my first time and I had the most fun ever. In two months I doubled my portfolio slides and I replaced half of my original portfolio with new 3d model slides. It was ‘fun’ making 3d models. It questioned me after, ‘Have I ever enjoyed this much?’ The quality of it was bad but I kept on working. I felt like, after all that process I finally found an icebreaker giving me new fresh start line. I was lucky. I cannot imagine myself being in RISD if I did not find the fun of doing designs and making 3d models.
Being accepted to RISD was an escape from old high school art and starting design. Now I’m already a junior in ID of RISD. I learned what ID is about, how to design for Industrial design. Yet I still think I’m only a beginner. I want to keep on learning until I find that icebreaker for me, so I can keep on walking on the new road called ID.

댓글 1개:

Justin Kim :

좋은 스토리군 우리가 몰랐던 스토리야